Newtongrange Primary began its journey towards being a Rights Respecting School in October 2018. The first step will be to gain our Bronze Award and we are making excellent progress towards this. We have set up our Rights Decision Making Group with each class selecting a Rights Ambassador. Staff have taken part in an initial training session which has been reflected in learning across the school.
Learners have been made aware that they have rights under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
There is a close focus in Term 3 on the following 5 rights which classes decided were the most important for children in Newtongrange Primary:
- Article 2 – Non Discrimination
- Article 12 – Respecting the views of the child
- Article 19 – Protection from violence, abuse and neglect
- Article 23 – Rights for children with disabilities
- Article 28 – The right to education