Mental Health & Wellbeing
At Newtongrange Primary School, we are committed to supporting the emotional health and wellbeing of our learners. We know that everyone experiences life challenges that can make us vulnerable and at times, anyone may need additional emotional support. We take the view that positive mental health is everybody’s business and that we all have a role to play.
At our school we aim to:
• Help children to understand their emotions and feelings better.
• Help children feel comfortable sharing any concerns or worries.
• Help children socially to form and maintain relationships.
• Promote self-esteem and ensure children know that they cope.
• Encourage children to be confident and ‘dare to be different’.
• Help children to develop emotional resilience and to manage setbacks.
We offer different levels of support:
Universal Support – To meet the needs of all our learners through our overall ethos and our wider curriculum. For instance Building Resilience Programme for all.
Additional support – For those who may have short-term needs and those who may have been made vulnerable by life experiences such as bereavement.
Targeted support – For children who need more differentiated support and resources or specific targeted interventions such as wellbeing groups or personal mentors
Below is some further information, tips and strategies to help you help your child manage their wellbeing.
35 ways to ask you child how was your day
Wellbeing COVID – 5 ways to wellbeing 1
Wellbeing COVID – 5 ways to wellbeing 2
NPS 5 4 3 2 1 Grounding Strategy
NPS Breathing Exercises for Children
NPS Calming Anxiety in Children Strategies
NPS Coping with Coronavirus (COVID-19) Strategies for Families
NPS Helping Children Manage Anger Strategies